Portuguese Investment Immigration Program
Golden Visa Portugal
Why apply for a
Golden Visa Portugal
The programme provides eligible families the opportunity to become a permanent resident or a citizen in Portugal in only five years. Portugal is a popular choice especially for USA nationals as it has a great climate, great cuisine, affordable housing and friendly locals.
Once you become a Portuguese citizen, you get visa-free access to 188 countries.
That all depends on the type of investment you make. Generally, you’ll need around €500,000 to invest in real estate. This figure is significantly reduced if you purchase a renovation project or you buy in a low-density area. If both factors apply, you may need as little as €280,000.
Investment options include:
- Purchasing property at a minimum cost of between €280,000 and €500,000, depending on the location and condition of the property
- Creating at least 10 jobs
- Investing €350,000 in research activities
- Investing €250,000 in support of the arts or national cultural heritage
- Capital transfer of at least €1 million
- Investing €350,000 into private equity funds
- Investing €350,000 into an existing Portuguese busines
BENEFITS OF A PORTUGUESE INVESTOR VISA
- You don’t have to move to Portugal to keep your residence permit. Staying in the country for seven days on average per year will suffice
- You can be eligible to apply for Portuguese citizenship in five years. This is one of the quickest in Europe
- Once you become a Portuguese citizen, you get visa-free access to 188 countries
- The Golden Visa permit registers you in the Schengen Area central system. So, you can freely travel within Europe without an additional visa
- Portugal ranks the third most peaceful country in the world, according to the 2020 Global Peace Index
TAX INCENTIVE SCHEME
With this agreement, if you earn income outside of Portugal as a US citizen, then the income will not be subject to taxation in Portugal. This means that you will be taxed on the same income only in one country.
Furthermore, expat retirees in Portugal can also benefit from the program because pension income from a foreign source is also exempt from taxation in Portugal.
Besides DTA, taxation in Portugal is quite advantageous compared to other European countries.
Another taxation program Portugal offers is the Non-Habitual Resident (NHR) regime. Under this program, Most of your foreign source income is exempt from taxation for 10 years. If the foreign income is from a country Portugal has a DTA with, then it will not be taxed in Portugal, If you have a “high-added-value” profession, you will get generous tax exemptions.
Even if your income is from a Portuguese source, the taxation is still at lower rates for the expats Normally, citizens of EU/EEA/Switzerland can apply for the NHR program by being a resident in Portugal. However, as a US citizen, you can benefit from NHR by first becoming a resident through a Portugal Golden Visa.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Portugal Golden Visa is a residence visa issued to non-EU nationals who have made a significant investment in Portugal, such as purchasing real estate, making a capital investment, or creating employment opportunities.
It is a fast-track process for obtaining permanent residence and citizenship in an EU country – via the Golden Visa, you can become eligible for Portuguese citizenship in as little as five years.
To qualify for the program, you must fulfill the following Golden Visa requirements for Portugal:
- Be either non-EU, non-Swiss, or non-EEA.
- Minimum investment of €250,000. Range of investment routes to pick.
- Have a clean criminal record
Spend a minimum of seven days in Portugal for the first year, then no less than 14 days each subsequent two-year period (this is called the stay requirement)
In short yes, but not from a Portuguese financial Institution.
You cannot take out a loan from a Portuguese financial institution but you can take the amount as a loan from a non-Portuguese financial institution and then bring it into Portugal.
Moreover, if your investment exceeds the minimum amount they require and you want a loan for the remaining amount. Then you can take a loan for the remaining amount.
The Minimum amount of investment depends upon the density and location of the property in Portugal. For most properties the minimum requirement is an investment of euro 500,000.
- low-density area in Portugal, the minimum amount drops 20 percent to €400,000
- Real estate that is older than 30 years old, in an urban rehabilitation area, and renovate it for a minimum of €350,000 in Portugal
- If in a low-density area in Portugal, the minimum amount drops 20 percent to €280,000
The minimum amount contains both the property investment price plus the cost of renovation works.
It requires the creation of a minimum of ten new full-time jobs in a Portuguese business that is owned by the main applicant.
However, if the business is formed in a low-density area the requirement is a minimum of 8 new full-time jobs.
Yes, as long as the minimum amount is met in total, the transaction may include the purchase of multiple properties.